Yabu: House of Katsu

The katsu craze has reached Philippine shores, particularly in Manila. Different stores have popped up here and there and the quest for the best has started.

Yabu: House of Katsu is a more high-end type of katsu restaurant. Erwin, my sister and I visited the one at Glorietta 5.



The interior was designed with serenity in mind. I felt like it was wrong to laugh out loud, in a taklesa kind of way. But the place still excuded comfort.

They started us off by telling us about the yabu ritual. We had to grind a combination of regular sesame seeds and black sesame seeds to add more flavor to the katsu sauce. It was a good distraction while waiting for the food.


Hire Pork Curry - Hot

I got the Hire Katsu Curry Set in hot. There were three choices as to the spiciness: regular, hot and very hot. Hire which is pork meat without fat.

I really loved this dish. It was different than what I would call regular curry or that which you normally cook at home. The difference in spices were evident. Japanese curry tasted more pronounced and distinct. The spiciness was just right for my palate. It was appetizing, the taste in your tounge encourages you to eat more.
The meat was truly fat free. But it was still juicy and meaty with every bite. The coating was thin and crispy. I'm not ashamed to say I finished all of it. (4 cups of rice refills included)



Chicken Katsu Set

Erwin and my sister, opted for Chicken Katsu Set. It had a soft inside but the outside was fried to crispy goodness. Fried chicken with a whole new twist.

Each set included miso soup, shredded cabbage, rice and fruits which were unlimitedly refill



We also had bottomless lemonade for our drinks, which was never empty. The staff were very attentive and never let the glass get half-full.



The best condiment as suggested by the staff was the one called Goma. He was right. I normally don't eat cabbage but when I tried it with goma, it was awesome. It was mayo to a whole new level.



My chopstick, unused. It's a shame I'm not confident enough with my skills.

Overall, despite the priciness. I can say that it was well worth it. The taste, the atmosphere and the service was mighty fine. If I may say, Yabu is the King of Katsu. (proven true, until unseated)


*Oh take note though that the service charge is not included in the menu price, expect it to rise up to 5%

Cost for Three: Php 1300

YABU: HOUSE OF KATSU

Second Floor, Glorietta 5, Ayala Center, Glorietta Complex, Makati City

Telephone: 02 8236903

Email: yabuphilippines@gmail.com

Website: www.yabuhouseofkatsu.com

Popular Posts